What: Koorie Showcase, a survey of Aboriginal craft
To celebrate the experience and breadth of knowledge in the Koorie community, Craft is proud to present the Koorie Showcase, a survey of Aboriginal craft, and a platform for sharing cultural knowledge as part of Craft Cubed Festival, proudly supported by the Gandel Foundation, Fed Square and Creative Victoria.
Craft’s new Aboriginal Projects program is committed to sharing Victorian Aboriginal craft with wider audiences by highlighting the high level of skill and creativity that exists within the Aboriginal craft community.
There is an impressive tradition of creative expression in the Koorie arts and crafts community. Employing traditional and contemporary practices, makers are continuing to develop and share craft that inspires and connects with growing consumer markets.
Craft invites the public to engage with a broad selection of contemporary Koorie craft, and participate in workshops and demonstrations on the day.
Artistic Director and CEO Jane Scott said the appointment of a dedicated Aboriginal Projects Coordinator with the support of Creative Victoria has allowed a series of Koorie craft projects to commence.
“We’re thrilled to showcase and celebrate the skill and diversity of Koorie craft.
“We have some incredibly talented makers whose work will be available to purchase, as well as weaving demonstrations and the opportunity to get involved in making on the day, so there’s something for everyone to enjoy,” Ms Scott said.
When: Thursday 17 September 12 – 6pm
A showcase of local Aboriginal craft, including workshops and demonstrations.
- Craft stalls featuring recent work from the Aboriginal commissions project
- Bush Tucker display with Cassie Leatham-Harrap
- Grass Basket Weaving workshop with Donna Blackall
- Bush Toy Workshop with Bronwyn Razem
- Paintings by Vicki Couzens and Josh Muir
- Lee Darroch will present and discuss the process of creating Possum Skin Cloaks and their cultural importance
- Koorie Heritage Trust collection display
- Baluk Arts Centre featured artists
- Photographs and t-shirts by renowned artist Maree Clarke
ARTISTS Lee Darroch, Maree Clarke, Vicki Couzens, Josh Muir, Cassie Leatham-Harrap, Donna Blackall, Baluk Arts, Bronwyn Razem, Emma Bamblett, Deanne Gilson, Edward John Flower, Elizabeth Liddle.
Where: The Atrium, Fed Square